Saturday, April 23, 2005

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Eat 'Em

Would it be possible to eat our way out of a species invasion? Kudzu, for instance. The Asian vine has taken over to such an extent that it's hard to think about a Southern landscape without imagining telephone poles, old barns, hillsides, trees, slow-moving cows covered in the thick, rich, green drapery of kudzu.

Here's a list of kudzu-related sites, including some with recipes. I've never eaten the stuff, but I'd be willing to try.

I wonder if any other invasive species have become this incorporated into the culture and tradition of the regions they infest? Oh yeah . . . Kentucky bluegrass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your site leigh, I found to be very interesting. When I was searching for Causes Of Ozone Depletion yours was the most eyecatching. While working on my site Causes Of Ozone Depletion I have been seeking ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!